Sunday, June 13, 2010

Entrepreneurship

After working for 7 years - think i am ready to run my own business. Venture out and tried it out and ended disastrously. Some year later attend a seminar on the road to entrepreneurship - i did everything they advise not to

1) Have enough capital
2) Not too many partners (or friends)
3) Study the market well - a lot of customers will said they'll support you before venturing out; but when you actually ventured out, their support vaporised

I come out with 3 other who were my better friend at that time. Think only one left who will still hug me when met outside. Maybe both of us beer drinkers have some common bonds

We joint-venture with the Japanese to form surveyor/laboratory company. Of course the Japanese suppose to deliver the customers but did not. Overhead is high with 4 managers and no business.

Inter disagreement is the biggest sore point - too much in fighting. The 1988 CNY is the most miserable time of my life. The saving is disappearing fast, 2nd daughter is just 1 year old and the company is collapsing

Then received a call from an old friend - he is looking for a laboratory manager for his factory. I recommended two of my friends to him and both declined. Well the factory at that time is indeed laughing stock of town. New boy in town and desperate to expand and hence a lot of confusion. But by then i am more desperate n the old friend call again, why don't i joined him

After i say yes, the news spread and received three calls

- one from wife's best friend - if i cannot survive in that company, call him out and he'll help me

- my drinking kaki call - he is the good friend of the ex-Chemist of the factory - "this is the hot seat and no body can sit there except me, and yet i am leaving" - my drinking kaki asked me i am sure

- then an old university mate called - laughing - when we graduate he went to the factory. Factory people are very square and boring and after working 7 yrs, he want to get out but i am getting in.

All are very encouraging calls indeed - but i have no much choice. There was a famous Chinese Movies at that time "Fu San Xing" - Journey to Tiger Moutain

"We know there are tigers in that moutain, and yet we plan our journey right across the Tiger Moutain"

Heroic? or Desperate

End up that switch is the 1st turning point of my career

No comments:

Post a Comment